If Thanksgiving soup makes you think about the delicious leftover turkey soup you make after all the fun is over, that’s great. This year, try something new and make soup part of the main feast with these five rich recipes.
- Cauliflower Soup. A blend of potatoes and cauliflower create this creamy soup. Add sharp cheddar and pancetta to boost the flavor.
- Butternut Squash Soup. Use coconut milk to add an extra layer of richness to this classic fall soup.
- Lentil and Caramelized Onion Soup. This soup might remind you of French onion soup, especially once you add roasted croutons and cheese.
- Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup. This bright orange soup is rich and hearty. For a Caribbean taste add chili spices.
- Porcini Soup. Everyone will love this hearty, earthy soup packed with delicious mushrooms and other simple ingredients.
Which of these Thanksgiving soup recipes would you love to add to your family’s traditional feast? Here at Red Wing Chevrolet Buick, we hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving. If you have any leftover pies, you can definitely bring them by to share with us and then you can take a test drive in a great new Chevy or Buick.
For many families, the holidays not only include lots of fun, food, and festivities, but also lots of driving. If you have some long holiday drives coming up, here are five ways to keep them fun.
- I Spy. This is a staple in-car game for practically everyone who hits the road. Simply say, “I spy with my little eye, something that is…” Use colors, shapes, or even say the letter it starts with. Everyone takes turns guessing what it is.
- Scramble. Someone calls out the name of a street or city and everyone has to write down as many words as they can, using only the letters from the name. Whoever writes the most words wins.
- Picnic. This is a fun memory game. Start by saying, “I’m going on a picnic and I’m going to take…” The first person names something that starts with A. The next person has to repeat everything that came before and add a letter of their own.
- Letter game. Someone names a location in the world (state, country, city, etc.) like Minnesota. The next person has to name something that starts with the last letter of the previous word, for example, Arkansas, then South Carolina.
- Alphabet. Everyone has to find each letter of the alphabet in order by looking at signs, license plates, etc.
If you are heading out on some long holiday drives, schedule a service appointment at Red Wing Chevrolet Buick before you go and we will make sure your car is ready for the journey ahead.
Looking for good Minnesota camping spots? We at Red Wing Chevrolet Buick have a few recommendations.
- Bear Head State Park: Located near the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and featuring 73 campsites and 5,685 acres of wilderness, this is a great spot for camping.
- Glendalough State Park: From a lake to a prairie to a hardwood forest, Glendalough State Park is ideal for campers who want variety. They even have campsites, cabins, and yurts.
- Nerstrand-Big Woods State Park: Showers, restrooms, campsites, a playground, and picnic areas are ready to accommodate in this park, abundant with wildflowers and hiking trails.
- Scenic State Park: True to its name, beautiful views await you in Scenic State Park. Backpacking campsites or regular campsites give you a variety of options, and there’s always the chance to swim in Coon Lake.
- Split Rock Lighthouse State Park: This park even includes wheelchair-accessible campsites, so if you have a camper in need of these amenities, this is the way to go. Enjoy strolling the rocky shore or seeing the famous lighthouse.
- Voyageurs National Park: Enjoy boating? This national park, Minnesota’s only national park, is located on the Canadian border and is home to multiple lakes.
Minnesota camping spots are plentiful in such a beautiful state. Pick one and enjoy, or check out any of the many other parks in the state.
One of the best parts of summer is enjoying a big family get-together where you all enjoy grilling out and relaxing. If you’re looking to host an event, then here’s some ideas for a family cookout menu.
- Grill-Smoked Summer Peas: This grilled alternative to baked beans offers a lighter, more summery taste by using field peas instead of beans.
- Salad with Grilled Lettuce and Avocado: Lightly grill lettuce and avocado and toss it in with this delicious salad for a warm weather favorite.
- Tomato Salad with Shrimp: Tomato salad is always delicious, but you can give it an extra boost with the addition of delicious grilled shrimp.
- Chicken Marinated in Citrus and Tequila: Get your margarita on with this summery entree by soaking chicken in tequila and citrus brine before grilling it.
- Ice Cream Cake: Cookouts aren’t complete without dessert. You can keep cool in the summer heat with an ice cream cake instead of a traditional one.
- Lemon Mint Sparklers: Keep cool with this non-alcoholic mixed drink that consists of club soda mixed with a lemon-mint syrup.
Hopefully this gave you some inspiration for your own family cookout menu. We at Red Wing Chevrolet Buick love grilling out in the summertime and hope you have a good experience as well.
Every year, US News nominates the Best Cars for Families in multiple segments, ranging from compact cars to hybrids to luxury vehicles and more. Chevrolet is proud to say that the Malibu took home the Best Midsize Car for Families title for 2017. Hurry down to Red Wing Chevrolet and we can get you behind the seat of a 2017 Chevy Malibu to see for yourself what makes it so great. Plus, here’s our suggestions for the best family trips near Red Wing to take in your new Chevrolet Malibu.
This spot isn’t actually a lake, but a wide spot on the Mississippi River that sprung up quite a successful little community from the era of steamboat travel. See the sights, take the scenic drive along the “lake,” and indulge in the local shops and restaurants.
Cannon Valley Trail
Want to get out and active? This bike trail between Red Wing and Cannon Falls is 19.7 miles long. Get scenic views of the praire and river as you adventure through the wilderness.
Take the whole family skiing right here in Red Wing! If you’re experienced you can go it alone, or opt for skiing lessons for the little ones. Either way, Welch Village is a great way to have fun as a family doing something different.
That’s only a few of the best family trips near Red Wing, so get behind the wheel of the new 2017 Chevrolet Malibu and get exploring!
Now that the spring weather has finally arrived, outdoor fanatics everywhere are dreaming up their next camping trips. Have you ever turned your vehicle into the ultimate camping tool? This year, try gearing up your truck for spring camping. At Red Wing Chevrolet we have a lot full of Silverados that are perfect for the task.
When you take out your Silverado, you have two great options: sleeping in a tent or sleeping in the bed. If you opt for the traditional tent method, the bed of your Silverado can easily be used to store tubs of food, cooking supplies, bicycles, kayaks, or whatever other gear tickles your fancy. Purchase a canopy ahead of time that you can set up over your bed for the ultimate camping tailgating experience.
If you want to rely only on your Silverado, set up your sleeping area in the spacious bed of the pickup. Devoted truck campers build shelving units and extra storage around their bed space, but this isn’t necessary for a weekend away.
When it’s time to pull up the maps to head home, or to check in with work, the Silverado’s available Wi-Fi hotspot will come in handy. You can also use the Wi-Fi plus the Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system to stream music while you gather around the campfire for a perfect, spring evening.
Of all the holidays, St. Patrick’s Day is one of the most celebrated around the globe. The Irish heritage and culture flow through communities throughout the world every March. Without St. Patrick, however, there wouldn’t be a day to celebrate. Take a look at the history of St. Patrick’s Day and learn how the holiday came to be!
St. Patrick is widely known as the patron saint of Ireland. Born around the year 400 to a British Army Officer, Patrick’s name was likely Maewyn Succat or Patricius. Pirates kidnapped him as a child and sold him into slavery. He spent six years in prison in Ireland before receiving a message from God that told him to escape.
After doing so, he ventured to France where he spent 12 years at a monastery. He returned to Ireland as a bishop and with the pope’s blessing. There, he refused gifts, though he gave some himself, converted the population to Christianity, set up schools, created the basis for the church in Ireland, and much more.
Some of his most important converts were royal family members and, despite being arrested on multiple occasions, he still went above and beyond to do what was best for the Irish community at large.
We here at Red Wing Chevrolet are pumped to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this coming March!